Work experience and internships
The current economic climate has seen an increase in the number of work experience opportunities for students from businesses and organisations in industry, private, public and not for profit sectors. These opportunities enable students to develop sector knowledge, career awareness, marketability on graduation and personal graduate attributes towards their employability skills.
Structured placements and internships and graduate-level work that provide a useful insight into your business are particularly valuable to students and the benefits can be substantial.
Benefits to your business:
- Access to experienced university staff who will guide and help find you the right candidates for your organisation
- To progress with initiatives and business projects that have been put on hold
- To solve short term staffing issues
- To tap into new bright ideas, innovation, knowledge and new perspective on projects and business problems contributing to the organisations bottom line
- Low risk to your organisation accessing talented, enthusiastic and motivated individuals
- To trial run candidates, make use of their skills and abilities in a structured format without any long term commitments and to plan for future permanent roles
- Opportunity for staff within your organisations who are seeking line managerial experience to manage students.
We will facilitate each opportunity providing they comply with the National Council for Work Experience's guidelines on best practice, which includes a useful description of different types of work experience and outlines some exemptions to the National Minimum Wage e.g. those work-shadowing, or working for, a registered charity.
Further information is available on the following websites:
For a guide on the process of offering internships to students and to ensure mutual benefits for your business and students please visit:
- CIPD Internships that Work
- AGCAS - Gateways to the Professions Collaborative Forum Code to 'Common Best Practice Code for High-Quality Internships'
You can also contact the Employer Liaison Co-ordinator to discuss your ideas and plans:
Telephone: 020 8331 8582